Friday, February 04, 2005

My Letter to the Creators of Grim Jack


Misters Ostrander, Truman & Gold,

Thank you, thank you, THANK YOU!!! After thirteen years in the darkness, the long night is over. GrimJack is back! Praise Jesus! Praise Allah and all the Buddhas. Praise Stan Lee & Jack Kirby; the twin Gods of four color entertainment! Hence fourth, February the 2nd shall no longer be remembered as "Groundhog Day." It shall forever be know as "The Day of GrimJack." Yes, the Grinner has returned. Burst forth from the bone yard of comic book limbo. Grandfather of the grim 'n gritty anti-hero. Often imitated, never duplicated...

I could go on and on like this. I'm just so happy. In case you haven't figured it out, I'm a big fan. From the first moment I saw John Gaunt in that back up story in Starslayer (way back in 1983), I knew that there was something different about this character. Something magic. Here was a comic that combined elements of everything that I think is cool. Sci-Fi, Fantasy, Film Noir, Westerns, monsters and wonderful multi-dimensional characters all living in the multi-dimensional city of Cynosure. A place where anything could happen. And when the series ended and I heard that legal troubles would probably keep it from ever being published again, I mourned.

But now, after thirteen long years, a new GrimJack comic is finally on the stands. And gentleman, it was worth the wait. With GrimJack: Killer Instinct, you boys have knocked one out of the park. It is obvious to me that you all love this comic, and that shows in every word on every panel of this beautifully rendered book. Right now I'm not going to go into a detailed analysis of everything that I think is great about this mini-series. Instead I just want to offer a heart felt thank you for never giving up on this concept or this character. I'm along for the ride for as long as you want to tell the stories of John Gaunt and his gang of misfits. Just don't leave us waiting for another thirteen years after this mini-series ends. I don't think my heart could take it.

Sincerely,

Johnny D

P.S.: When is Uncle Elvis going to reactivate the GrimJack fan club?

No comments: