Monday, January 10, 2005

John Michael Decker's Top Ten Films of 1999

For anyone who cares, here is my list of the 10 best movies of 1999. This is my own completely biased opinion, so feel free to agree, disagree or send me your own lists. This was such a fantastic year for movies that there were probably twice as many movies that I wanted to put on the list, but I only had ten slots to fill, so there you go. Still, I would be remiss if I did not mention a few of the movies that almost made it on the list. THE SIXTH SENSE, ELECTION, and THE IRON GIANT were all excellent and deserve recognition.

But here is the main list...

#10) THE GREEN MILE: There's just something really uplifting about a Stephen King prison flick.

#9) THREE KINGS: A bizarre mix of War Movie, Buddy Comedy, and Art House Indie Flick. And it all works.

#8) GO: I loved how all of the dangling plot lines seamlessly converged. This movie was a ride.

#7) BEING JOHN MALKOVICH: A unique parable for anyone who's ever wanted to live in someone else's skin.

#6) SLEEPY HOLLOW: Sure, this film had all the sensibility of a Hammer horrer flick, but it was slick and well acted and it never failed to hold my attention. Come on. There were multiple beheadings and a windmill of destruction! That is just cool.

#5) RUN, LOLA, RUN: The movie that put forth the idea that life is a video game. Don't like how it ends? Put in a coin and start over.

#4) DOGMA: A lot of folks complained about the crass humor, but I thought this movie had a real spiritual heart and soul. Not to mention some genuine belly laughs.

#3) FIGHT CLUB: Brutal, brilliant, social satire.

#2) THE MATRIX: A Sci-Fi flick that really makes you think! This movie worked for me on so many levels that even after multaple viewings, I'm still not sick of it.

And the BEST movie of 1999...

#1) AMERICAN BEAUTY: A beautiful fable about the secret life of things.

And those are my picks, like it or not!

--John

2 comments:

Unknown said...

You know, folks... In retrospect, I think that I would drop off the last three films on this list and replace them with...

8) The Iron Giant
9) The Sixth Sense
10) Election

Unknown said...

While I'm thinking about it, I would also move "American Beauty" to #3 and "Fight Club" to #1. Just call me fickle...