Saturday, February 12, 2005

My Review of Spider-Man~4 May 2002


I have to say in all honesty that I didn't like the Spider-Man movie...

I LOVED IT!!!! I thought that it was the BEST comic book to film translation yet. Superman is a great film, but it veers into camp in places. Batman is awesome, but to me the story always fell apart in the last 15 minutes (and lets face it, the film was really all about the Joker). The X-Man was the best of all, but it had so many character's to deal with that at times the focus became muddy. Spider-Man, simply, rocked my world.

So many of the scenes were lifted right out of the pages of the comic. When the burgler ran past Pete at the elevator, I got chills down my spine. Chills! And as for the ending, well, Raimi obviously understands Spider-Man. Peter Parker should NEVER have a clear cut victory. He defeats the Goblin, but fuckes up his best friend, Harry in the process. The girl of his dreams admits that she loves him, but his sense of responsibility won't let him commit to her. He lost his Uncle because of a moment of selfishness. A moment. He figures, if I let MJ in, really let her be close, her life will always be in danger just because of her association with him. He loves her so much that he's willing to let her go in order to keep her safe. That is love. And, sure, you could argue that he is a fool to let this red head go, but it is consistant with the character of Peter Parker.


As for Norman Osborn, I thought that Willem Dafoe did a brilliant job with him. This isn't the recent incarnation of Norman Osborn, the puppet master who pulls strings from the shadows like the Kingpin. I never really liked that Norman Osborn. This is the original Norman Osborn as Lee and Ditko painted him. A schizophrenic lunatic. A tragic character. Norman Osborn was a good man (perhaps a little too focused on his work to take time for his son), but a good man none the less. And then there's this experiment and he unleashes all of his dark id. This isn't a brilliant mastermind who is always thinking 12 steps ahead like a chess master, this is a brilliant nut job who acts on his twisted impulses. This is the Green Goblin I remember. The one I love.


And Kirsten Dunst. Could she have been any more hot as a red head? It's easy to see why Peter falls for her. But she also plays that vulnerability. The popular girl who puts up a front to hide her insecurities. Very good performance.
And Toby Maguire WAS Peter Parker. In all of his neurotic complexity. Again, a wonderful performance. And the supporting characters... J. Jonah Jameson, Aunt May and Uncle Ben were done perfectly. This was not the Brian Michael Bendis Spider-Man (as good as that is). Nor was it the Straczenski Spidey or the McFarlone Spidey. This was the Lee/Ditko Spidey all the way baby! The way he moved, the poses, the angst, all amazing. Did I think it was perfect? No, I have a few quibbles, but they are only quibbles.


First of all, the Goblin's costume. He looked like a deranged Power Ranger. I would have gone for a more rubbery, expressive look. My other quibble is that I would have liked to have seen a little bit more of the smart ass Spider-Man. More of the quips and one-liners that Spidey is famous for. They did have a little for that, but I would have liked to see more. Perhaps in the next movie.


Anyway, I give this film an A. I'm not kidding. I think it was that good. I've waited 30 odd years for them to make this movie, and they have done it right.


John the Comic Guru (87 on the WizCATs, Baby!)

No comments: