Sunday, January 09, 2005

John Michael Decker's Top Ten Films of 2003

Greetings all.

So, without further ado, here is my list of the top ten films of 2003 in descending order...

#10) DAREDEVIL: Daredevil has always been my second favorite Marvel Comics character (after Spidey, of course), and so I was very pleased when director Mark Steven Johnson pulled the best elements from the works of Stan Lee and Frank Miller and put together an exciting, character driven, action flick.

#9) SEABISCUIT: The story of three men who are broken, and who are able to come together and heal through their connection to a remarkable horse. Beautifully shot, directed and edited.

#8) BEND IT LIKE BECKHAM: Parminder K. Nagra (as'Jess' Bhamra) and Keira Knightley (as Jules Paxton) are outstanding in this film about two English girls who confound their parents expectations by going against their traditional societal roles and following their dream of playing girls football.

#7) 28 DAYS LATER: By far the scariest, most unpredictable, horror movie of the year. The viewer is left with the question of what is more evil; mindless, flesh eating zombies, or human beings with no laws to hold their base natures in check.

#6) LOST IN TRANSLATION: Bill Murray and Scarlett Johansson are wonderful in this film about two lost souls, rattling around a hotel in Tokyo, who make a connection because they both feel so disconnected and alone.

#5) BIG FISH: An amazing film about a son's attempt to understand his father and the power of storytelling. Tim Burton's weird sensibilities work really well in this movie.

#4) HOLES: Two family curses intersect in this incredible movie about fate and loyalty and finding hope and friendship in some very dark places. All this and yellow spotted lizards!

#3) KILL BILL: VOLUME I: Quentin Tarantino's loving homage to the exploitation and chop-suey films of the70s. A ballet of severed limbs and arterial spray.

#2) X2: X-MEN UNITED: A kick-ass, balls to the wall, action flick that surpasses the first X-Men film in every way (and I really liked that movie). AlanCumming is introduced as Nightcrawler (my favoriteX-Man), and Hugh Jackman, once again, rules as Wolverine. The first scene alone is worth the price of admission.

And now for my favorite movie of 2003...

#1) LORD OF THE RINGS: THE RETURN OF THE KING: Peter Jackson has succeded brilliantly in creating one of the most epic trilogies ever put on the big screen. In the third installment, he does an amazing job of juggling multipal characters and story arcs and bringing everything together in a satisfying conclusion. J.R.R. Tolkien has been done proud.

And that is my list for the year. Agree with me. Disagree. Take me to task for my obvious omissions. Let me know what you think. I would love to hear from you.

Until next year...

"And I'd have gotten away with it too if it wasn't for those meddling kids!"

Johnny D.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

In retrospect, I think I would switch "Daredevil" with "Pirates of the Caribbean: the Curse of the Black Pearl." Johnny Depp's Captain Jack Sparrow had to be the most endearing cinematic character since Indiana Jones.