Wednesday, September 07, 2005

The New Outsiders

I've been giving a lot of thought to the DC comic book, The Outsiders featuring Nightwing, Arsenal, Jade, Thunder, Grace, Indigo, Shift and Starfire. It occurs to me that most of these character's (with the exception of Shift) are not outsiders at all. They are gorgeous, athletic, and super powered paragons. If I were to create a team of heroes who called themselves "the Outsiders," then I would pick characters from the DC pantheon who are truly forced to live "outside" of normal human society. Here is the team that I think would truly deserve the title, Outsiders...

1) Cliff Steele AKA
Robotman
First Appearance: MY GREATEST ADVENTURE #80 (June 1963)
2) Mitch Shelley AKA Resurrection Man
First Appearence: RESURRECTION MAN #1 (March 1997)
3) Zauriel the Guardian Angel
First Appearence: JLA #6 (June 1997)
4) Jason Blood/Etrigan AKA the Demon
First Appearence: DEMON #1 (September 1972)
5) Bostan Brand AKA
Deadman
First Appearence: STRANGE ADVENTURES #205 (September 1967)
6) Daniel Cassidy AKA
Blue Devil
First Appearence: FURY OF FIRESTORM #24 (June 1984)
7) Urania "Rainie" Blackwell AKA Element Girl
First Appearence: METAMORPHO #10 (February 1967)

So we have a cyborg, an immortal, an angel, a demon, a ghost, a devil and a science freak. Now that is what I would call a group of "Outsiders."


Johnny D. (honorary Outsider's mascot)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Dude, do not Spam my Blog!

Unknown said...

Here is who my friend GrimJeff picked to be his team of Outsiders...

Okay,

Well, either your comic book trivia knowledge is even better than I thought, or you had access to the DC Encyclopedia in formulating your list. Since my copy is over 30 miles away, I will try to do this off the top of my head. I visualize the Outsiders as being outside of the norm--doing the jobs that other heroes won't touch for political, social, or other reasons. So here goes:

1) Green Arrow: The team leader. He's a leftie, and he's got a soft spot for helping those who can't help themselves.

2) Ragman: I like him, and his costume is essentially comprised of the souls of those who tried to profit outside of the law, so he can redeem lots of folks in his line of work.

3) Metamorpho: He's a freak, and he can change into funky elements.

4) Urania "Rainie" Blackwell AKA Element Girl: Along with Metamorpho, sort of a freakish couple team-Kind of like Hawkman and Hawkgirl on the JSA team only twisted.

5) The Unknown Soldier: Master of disguise. The infiltrator.

6) Zatanna: She's powerful, and willing to cross the line.

7) Red Tornado: The more robotic one. He's always been a bit of an outsider...

I'm sure I could do better, but there it you have it.

Here's a challenge: Do a DC version of the Fantastic Four. They don't have to be related or whatever...

Jeff